Enroll in Spanish 1 with Dolphin STEM Academy
Learning a language is a multi-faceted experience in which you are introduced to a
whole new set of words and ways of expressing yourself with words, along with new
cultures formed by people who have been speaking that language for centuries. The
Spanish-speaking world is vast and rich, spanning Spain in the Iberian Peninsula and
many parts of North, Central, and South America, all with varied ethnic and political
histories and cultures.
In Spanish 1A, you’ll be introduced to several common situations in which people
communicate, such as exchanging names and greetings, describing people by physical
and personality traits, and describing family members and aspects of your social life.
You’ll start with basic sentence structures and grammatical tools, and you’ll learn to
communicate by listening, speaking, reading, and writing in Spanish as you internalize
new vocabulary and grammar. You’ll also learn about some regions of the Spanishspeaking world that the central characters of each unit are visiting. You will build on this
semester’s work as you advance in your Spanish studies: everything that you learn
about a language and the cultures in which it is spoken will serve as a foundation for
By the end of this course, you will be able to do the following:
• Use subject pronouns and match them with conjugated verb forms; use adjectives
and articles and match them (by gender and number) with nouns.
• Construct and comprehend, orally and in writing, sentences in Spanish in the
present tense with a variety of regular and irregular verbs.
• Know when to use the verbs estar or ser (to be), conocer or saber (to know) in several situations.
• Ask and answer questions about people’s names (using the reflexive verb llamarse)
and national origins, and to discuss dates and time of day.
• Count and recognize the numbers in Spanish up to 1,000.
• Use verbs like gustar, encantar, and disgustar to express likes and dislikes.
• Make comparisons and express agreement and disagreement.