Enroll in Language Arts 3 with Dolphin STEM Academy
English is the study of the creation and analysis of literature written in the English
language. In Language Arts 3, Semester B, you will first analyze informative
essays to explore what they reveal about the process of growing up, gender
development, immunity and disease prevention. You will identify strategies for attaining
and maintaining mental and emotional health. In the second unit, you will analyze
elements of poetry, such as theme, structure, meter, language, and sound techniques.
In the third unit, you will read novels and analyze their literary elements and their use of
literary devices. In the final unit of the course, you will reflect upon and evaluate aspects
of your past, present, and future while reading Charles Dickens’s A Christmas Carol.
By the end of this course, you will be able to do the following:
• Identify the main idea and supporting evidence in informative essays.
• Use writing techniques for writing your own short memoir.
• Explain the impact of alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use on one’s behavior, brain
chemistry, and ability to function.
• Describe the language and sound techniques used to compose a poem.
• Prepare and revise a persuasive essay on a topic related to poetry.
• Explain how novelists add meaning to their works by referencing other pieces of
• Describe themes and symbolism in novels.
• Reflect upon and evaluate aspects of your past, present, and future life as a student
while reading Charles Dickens’s A Christmas Carol.