Enroll in Introduction to Social Media with Dolphin STEM Academy
This single semester elective course is intended as a practical, hands-on guide to help
you understand the world of social media and how individuals, social groups, and
businesses are using different types of social media. You will discuss various types of
social media and the technologies that spawned them in the initial two lessons. In the
lessons that follow, you will take a closer look at different types of social media—from
social and professional networks to geolocation and photo-sharing services. Finally, in
the last few lessons you will discuss how technological advances (specifically in mobile
devices) and the legal environment impact social media and how businesses use social
media in their marketing activities.
By the end of this course, you will:
• Identify various types of social media that have impacted our society and their evolution.
• Describe and use blogs and microblogs for interacting with the digital world.
• Explain the use of social networks and professional networks.
• Explain photo sharing and organize an individual site based on an existing photo sharing service.
• Describe the effect of video sharing and use of geolocation on business and other communities.
• Identify the impacts of social media on news sharing and impact of social opinion
sites on review and consumption of products and services.
• Describe the use of wiki-based services to build and share a knowledge repository.
• Explain the process of crowdsourcing and its effect on industry.
• Explain the impact of social media on marketing and its use through mobile devices.
• Explain the privacy and legality of social media.