Enroll in Graphic Design and Illustration with Dolphin STEM Academy
This one-semester course is intended as a practical, hands-on guide to help you understand
graphic design concepts, graphic image creation, and image manipulation. This course has 14
lessons organized into 4 units, plus 4 Unit Activities. Each lesson contains one or more Lesson
This course covers careers you can pursue in graphic design. It also covers training and skills
required for a graphic designer. In addition, this course describes how to create images using
color and typography and how to manipulate images. It also guides you how to create images
using design elements and principles. Finally, this course covers copyright laws and ethics
related to the use of graphic design.
You will submit the Unit Activity documents to your teacher, and you will grade your work on the
Lesson Activities by comparing them with the given sample responses. The Unit Activities
(submitted to the teacher) and the Lesson Activities (self-checked) are the major components of
this course. There are other assessment components, namely the mastery test questions that
feature along with the lesson; the pre- and post-test questions that come at the beginning and
end of the unit, respectively; and an end-of-semester test. All of these tests are a combination of
simple multiple-choice questions and technology enhanced (TE) questions.
This course will help you meet the following goals:
• Descibe the evolution of graphic design.
• Describe the careers in graphic design and create a résumé.
• Identify and assess the training and skills required for a graphic designer.
• Describe digital image concepts and the use of basic tools in graphic design software.
• Describe universal symbols and their usage.
• Describe the properties of color and apply color-balancing techniques.
• Describe the effects of typography on a digital image.
• Describe image manipulation and rendering techniques on a digital image.
• Describe how to organize and store images.
• Describe laws and ethics related to graphic design.
• Create images using design elements and principles.
• Create a layout design using design principles.
• Describe how to create one-point and two-point perspective images.
• Explain the digital printing process.