Enroll in German 1 with Dolphin STEM Academy
Learning a language is a multi-faceted experience in which you are introduced to a
whole new set of words and ways of expressing yourself with words, along with new
cultures formed by people who have been speaking that language for centuries. The
German-speaking world spans Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, and
Liechtenstein in Europe, as well as many other parts of the world.
In German 1A, you’ll be introduced to several common situations in which people
communicate, such as exchanging names and greetings, describing people by physical
and personality traits, and describing family members and aspects of your social life.
You’ll start with basic sentence structures and grammatical tools, and you’ll
communicate by listening, speaking, reading, and writing in German as you internalize
new vocabulary and grammar. You’ll also learn about some regions of the German
speaking world that the central characters of each unit are visiting. You will build on this
semester’s work as you advance in your German studies: everything that you learn
about a language and the cultures in which it is spoken will serve as a foundation for
By the end of this course, you will be able to do the following:
• Use subject pronouns and match them with conjugated verb forms; use adjectives
and articles and match them (by gender and number) with nouns.
• Construct and comprehend, orally and in writing, sentences in German in the
present tense with a variety of regular and irregular verbs.
• Know when to use the verbs wissen (to know facts) and Kennen (to be acquainted
with people and places) in several situations.
• Ask and answer questions about people’s names and national origins, and to
discuss dates and time of day.
• Count and recognize the numbers in German up to 1,000.
• Use verbs like wollen and möchten to express likes and dislikes.
• Make comparisons and express agreement and disagreement.