Enroll in Game Development with Dolphin STEM Academy
This one-semester elective course is intended as a practical, hands-on guide to help
you understand the process of game development.
This course is structured into lessons and Course Activities as follows:
• The first four lessons are about the history of video games, types of early consoles,
arcades, personal computers, and platform convergence.
• The next four lessons deal with game and player goals, game genres, player
motivations, and player demographics.
• The next four lessons provide students an understanding of story and character
development, gameplay, game styles, and level design.
• The next four lessons discuss game user interface, game audio, mobile and social
gaming, and the different job roles in the video game industry.
• The next three lessons focus on game development phases, the role of
management in game production, and various methods used for marketing games.
• The final lesson is about the future of gaming; it discusses existing trends and
possible directions in video gaming.
You will submit the Course Activity documents to your teacher and will check your own
answers in the Lesson Activities that accompany each lesson. Each lesson also has a
multiple-choice mastery test. A multiple-choice end-of-semester test completes the course.
The Course Activities (submitted to the teacher) and the Lesson Activities
(selfchecked) are major components of this course.
By the end of this course, you will be able to do the following:
• Describe the history of video games and the early devices used to play games.
• Describe game and player goals, game genres, player motivations, and player demographics.
• Describe the use of story elements in video games, character development,
gameplay challenges and strategies, and level design.
• Describe the various components of game interfaces, game audio, and mobile and social gaming.
• Describe the phases of production and role of management in game development,
and methods used for marketing games.
• Identify and evaluate different careers in the video game industry.
• Describe the existing trends and possible directions in video gaming.