Enroll in French 1 with Dolphin STEM Academy
Learning a language is a multi-faceted experience in which you are introduced to a
whole new set of words and ways of expressing yourself with words, along with new
cultures formed by people who have been speaking that language for centuries. The
French-speaking world spans France, Monaco, and parts of Belgium, Switzerland, and
Luxembourg in Europe, as well as parts of the United States, Canada, and various
African countries, all with varied ethnic and political histories and cultures.
In French 1A, you’ll be introduced to several common situations in which people
communicate, such as exchanging names and greetings, describing people by physical
and personality traits, and describing family members and aspects of your social life.
You’ll start with basic sentence structures and grammatical tools, and you’ll
communicate by listening, speaking, reading, and writing in French as you internalize
new vocabulary and grammar. You’ll also learn about some regions of the French speaking world that the central characters of each unit are visiting. You will build on this
semester’s work as you advance in your French studies: everything that you learn about
a language and the cultures in which it is spoken will serve as a foundation for further learning.
By the end of this course, you will be able to do the following:
• Use subject pronouns and match them with conjugated verb forms; use adjectives
and articles and match them (by gender and number) with nouns.
• Construct and comprehend, orally and in writing, sentences in French in the present
tense with a variety of regular and irregular verbs.
• Know when to use the verbs être (to be) and savoir (to know) in several situations.
• Ask and answer questions about countries of origin using the verb venir (to come).
• Use verbs like aimer, adorer, and n’aimer pas to express likes and dislikes.
• Make comparisons and express agreement and disagreement