Enroll in Culinary Arts with Dolphin STEM Academy
Culinary Arts, Semester A, is a one-semester course that is intended to help you gain
an understanding of the history and development of the culinary arts. This course
covers the basics of nutrition; and health, safety, and sanitation. In addition, the course
explains the basic science principles used in cooking and various cooking methods.
Finally, the course describes culinary skills required to make a variety of items, ranging
from stocks and soups to seafood and poultry to various breads and desserts.
By the end of this course, you will:
• Identify significant historical figures and events that influenced the development of
the practice and profession of the culinary arts.
• Categorize segments in the food service industry, identify factors that influence
choice of location, and analyze the industry’s economic and social significance.
• Identify the world’s major cuisines.
• Identify the sources and function of nutrients.
• Identify food sources of nutrients and explain food allergies.
• Select appropriate kitchen utensils, tools, and cleaning procedures, and identify
types of cuts used for vegetables.
• Identify contaminants and select safe practices to avoid potential health and safety hazards in kitchens.
• Identify public health agencies and choose methods to ensure safety and optimal
utilization of resources in food establishments.
• Identify the factors that affect food taste and choices.
• Compare various methods of food preparation.
• List the steps in food preparation and identify factors to consider when preparing a dish.
• Define stock, identify the main ingredients and uses of different sauces, and classify soups.
• Select appropriate cheeses, state the main components of a salad, differentiate
between different types of dressings, and compare appetizers.
• Identify different types of breads and pastries and list the steps to prepare some breakfast dishes.
• Identify different types of grains, pastas, potato dishes, and sauces and choose the
correct way to cook them.
• Categorize seafood, identify safety measures to consider when buying it, list steps to
prepare it, and choose appropriate accompaniments.
• Classify chicken breeds, identify ideal temperatures for cooking poultry, select an
appropriate marinade, and list steps for cooking poultry.
• Select appropriate techniques for preparing and cooking different types of meat.
• Identify vegetable cuts and select appropriate procedures for preparing and cooking vegetables and fruits.
• Identify the purpose of various ingredients in bread-making and select appropriate
ingredients and techniques when baking.