Enroll in Chemistry with Dolphin STEM Academy
Chemistry is the study of matter and how it changes. This course looks at matter’s
composition, properties, and transformations. In this semester, you’ll explore the
structure and properties of matter. You’ll analyze and construct the periodic table of
elements. You’ll compare elements based on their atomic structures and relative
positions in the periodic table. You will also discuss the chemical bonding taking place
in ionic and covalent compounds and metals. Finally, you’ll predict the outcome of
chemical reactions based on the reactants involved.
By the end of this course, you will be able to do the following:
• Describe the nature of the physical sciences.
• Explain ways in which scientists collect and share information.
• Distinguish between different forms of matter, and describe their physical and
• Compare atoms, and describe the structure of an atom of a given element.
• Compare the properties of the elements based on their electron structures and their
relative positions in the periodic table.
• Predict the structures of ionic, covalent, polyatomic, and organic compounds, and
describe their typical properties.
• Predict the outcome of simple chemical reactions based on the structures and
properties of the reactants.
• Describe chemical reactions in terms of precipitation, oxidation, and reduction.