Enroll in Art History and Appreciation with Dolphin STEM Academy
Art has played a significant role in every major civilization throughout the history of man. The
emergence of different art forms often reflects the values that a civilization deems important:
religion, labor, love, political change, or even commerce. Since artwork and cultural values
are so closely related, studying art is a compelling way to learn about the people who
By the end of this course, you will be able to do the following:
• Identify the main concepts of art, expression, and creativity and basic design principles.
• Identify various art forms, art tools, techniques, and processes.
• Identify the cultural functions of prehistoric art, the form and function of Egyptian art,
and the main principles of classical Greek art and Roman art.
• Trace principal developments in early Christian art and architecture and identify the
relationship between Christian worship and sacred images and architecture.
• Identify aspects of Islamic art and architecture, the main principles of Renaissance art,
and examples of Indian, Chinese, and Japanese art.
• Identify and analyze the key aesthetic features of African art, American Indian art, and
Latin American art.
• Identify the historical and cultural significance of the Reformation period on art and the
key principles of Baroque art and architecture.
• Identify how the development of visual technologies impacted art after the Renaissance.
• Identify the relationship between art and science and art and politics in the early modern world.
• State the main principles of modern art in relation to modern culture and identify major
developments in modern architecture in terms of technologies, form, and function.
• Identify pre-digital (analog) visual culture from the 1950s to the end of the 20th century.